Vaping is becoming increasingly popular in New Zealand, as it is seen as a less harmful alternative to smoking cigarettes. However, there is still some confusion about the laws and regulations surrounding vaping in New Zealand. This blog post will provide you with a comprehensive guide to vaping in New Zealand, so that you can make informed decisions about your vaping habits.
Is vaping legal in New Zealand?
Yes, vaping is legal in New Zealand. However, there are some restrictions on the sale and use of vape products. For example, vape products cannot be sold to people under the age of 18, and they cannot be used in smokefree areas.
What are the laws and regulations surrounding vaping in New Zealand?
The laws and regulations surrounding vaping in New Zealand are set out in the Smokefree Environments and Regulated Products Act 1990. This Act prohibits the sale of vape products to people under the age of 18, and it restricts the use of vape products in smokefree areas.
Smokefree areas include:
- Indoor workplaces
- Public transport
- Schools and early childhood centres
- Hospitals and other healthcare facilities
- Bars, restaurants, and cafes
- Sports grounds and other outdoor areas where there is a significant risk of secondhand smoke exposure to others
What are the health risks of vaping?
Vaping is less harmful than smoking cigarettes, but it is not completely risk-free. Some of the potential health risks of vaping include:
- Nicotine addiction: Nicotine is a highly addictive substance, and it can be addictive even at low levels.
- Lung damage: Vaping can irritate the lungs and cause inflammation.
- Heart problems: Vaping can increase the risk of heart disease and stroke.
- Other health problems: Vaping has also been linked to other health problems, such as cancer, reproductive problems, and oral health problems.
Is vaping harmful to others?
Secondhand vape aerosol can contain harmful chemicals, including nicotine and ultrafine particles. These chemicals can irritate the lungs and cause other health problems. It is important to be mindful of others when vaping, and to avoid vaping in close proximity to others, especially children and pregnant women.
How to vape safely
If you choose to vape, there are a few things you can do to minimize the risks:
- Use high-quality vape products from reputable brands.
- Start with a low nicotine level and increase it gradually as needed.
- Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water.
- Clean your vape device regularly.
- Store your vape juice in a cool, dark place.
- Be aware of the laws and regulations surrounding vaping in your area.
If you are looking to quit vaping, there are a number of resources available to help you. The Ministry of Health has a website called Quitline, which provides information and support to people who are trying to quit smoking and vaping. You can also talk to your doctor about quitting vaping.
Vaping is a complex issue, and there is still much that we do not know about the long-term health effects of vaping. However, it is important to be aware of the potential risks of vaping, and to take steps to minimize those risks if you choose to vape.