Along with offering great family attractions like SeaWorld and the San Diego Zoo, San Diego also offers a variety of beautiful beaches that are great for families with kids. Some of the beaches give you the chance to see wildlife, or to visit an amusement park nearby. Here are some of the best beaches for kids in San Diego:
1. La Jolla Shores: This is a popular family-friendly beach with gentle waves, soft sand, and plenty of space for kids to play. The adjacent Kellogg Park has a playground and grassy areas for picnics.
Additional features that make La Jolla Shores worth a visit are La Jolla Cove, which is a great place for snorkeling, and the nearby shopping in the Avenida de la Playa. If there’s a beginning surfer in the family, La Jolla Shores has waves that aren’t too challenging, as well as a number of surfing schools.
2. Coronado Beach: Located on Coronado Island, this beach is known for its wide, sandy shoreline and calm waters, making it perfect for kids to build sandcastles and swim. You can also explore the historic Hotel del Coronado nearby, which is one of the numerous tourist attractions on Coronado Island has numerous tourist besides the beach. Some of these are the Coronado Museum of History and Art and the ferry landing. Coronado Island is also a good place to see fireworks on the Fourth of July.
3. Mission Beach: Mission Beach features a lively boardwalk with shops, restaurants, and Belmont Park, which has an amusement park with a classic wooden roller coaster and other rides for kids.
4. Moonlight Beach: Located in Encinitas, Moonlight Beach has a playground, volleyball courts, and a picnic area. It’s a great spot for families with young children.
5. Pacific Beach: While Pacific Beach can get crowded, it’s a favorite among young families. There are shops and restaurants nearby, and the waves are usually gentle.
6. Del Mar Beach: Del Mar Beach is known for its wide sandy shoreline and gentle waves. It’s a good spot for building sandcastles and playing in the water.
7. Children’s Pool Beach: Also known as Casa Beach, this beach in La Jolla offers a unique experience where kids can observe seals and sea lions in their natural habitat from a safe distance.
8. Silver Strand State Beach: Located between Coronado and Imperial Beach, Silver Strand State Beach offers calm waters, making it ideal for swimming and beachcombing with kids.
9. Windansea Beach: While the surf here can be more substantial than at some of the other beaches listed, it’s still a lovely spot for families to visit. The picturesque rocky shoreline and tide pools can provide an educational experience for kids.
10. Carlsbad Beach: Carlsbad State Beach and Tamarack Beach in Carlsbad are known for their family-friendly atmosphere, wide sandy areas, and great facilities like restrooms and picnic tables.
Remember to always consider the safety of your children when visiting the beach. Keep an eye on them, especially if they are in or near the water, and be aware of any posted warnings or guidelines from lifeguards. Additionally, San Diego’s beaches are known for their excellent water quality, but it’s a good idea to check water quality reports before swimming, especially after heavy rain.
When considering a hotel to stay in during your holiday, it might be worth considering a beachfront hotel in San Diego. Not only does this offer the convenience of being having the beach right on your doorstep, but you also get a perfect spot from which to view the gorgeous Pacific sunsets over the ocean.